Saturday, November 20, 2010

4 days postop

Back in the land of the living !

I was up early on Wednesday (5 am) because I couldn't sleep !

My daughter drove me to the hospital and we got there at 9:10 am - I was set for surgery at 10 am.
Didn't get in at 10 because there were two emergency operations and I didn't get into the operating room until 2 pm (4 hours later).  I kept thinking what if they cancel and then I have to go thru all this again!

Dr. D said I had a very clean liver - how's that for a compliment :)  !

There was a bit of delay in the procedure(once I was in the operating room)  because when they opened up me and the kit - one of the pieces was missing so they had to go get another kit.

I have no memory of getting dressed or driving home - although I do remember that my husband and daughter both came for me around 6 pm. and I don't remember too much about the first night.

Day 2 - was kind of rough because I was very nauseous and threw up a few times, luckily my daughter called Jessica and told her what was happening and she told Barbara that was not a good thing to be doing so Barbara called Sam and she told her to get some liquid gravol and for me to take that every 4 hours - which did the trick and no more throwing up - thank the lord because it hurt my stomach!

Day 3 - was finally able to get a few cups of chicken broth and juices and a couple of pop cycles in me.  Took a sponge bath (can't bath until I get the bandages off on Monday) - felt much better at the end of the third day.

Day 4 - Feeling much better today - my stomach is sore around where the port is .... I think.... and my stomach is black and blue.   Drinking much better today - have graduated to liquid yogurt today - not really hungry but know I have to get something in me.

Everything tastes so sweet, yuck!  never thought I would cringe at sweet tasting things..... but I do !!!

The worst thing is that I have to crush up this big pill (for inflammation) and add to a little juice and swallow it - thank the lord that I just finished taking the last one - I pray I don't have to take it ever again !!!

So I am now a "Bandster"  - happy I did it !

Thank you for all your good wishes and prayers - it certainly helped me !  - now I have to think of a name for my band!

Have a great week end everyone :)

 

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the "other side!" You will be feeling awesome in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuk, sounds like you had a rough start! I wasn't bruised at all! Hope you are feeling better soon. So happy it's finally done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you. Sounds like things went fairly smoothly - hope you keep recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well! Let us know the name of your band; I'm still trying to think of a good one for mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear it all went well :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Bandland! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting for you----so glad you are feeling better. Take very good care of yourself and drink lots of fluids. I'll be toasting you this evening!! I had a nice liver also!!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've been getting updates from Barbara and sounded like you were doing much better once you got meds for the nausea. phew!!! Let us know how today's appt with Dr D goes

    ReplyDelete