Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Preparing for a Lap Band Fill

I thought I would list the steps Sam gave me to follow to increase the likelihood of a good fill outcome - this may help someone who is reading my blog - its a good thing to go prepared and I am hoping this will help some one who is confused about what to do:-

Make sure you are properly hydrated on the day of your fill (you should be drinking water everyday, but especially important in the 2 to 3 days before your fill.


Do not eat a big, late night dinner before a fill (it sometimes takes 12 hours for all the food to move through the stomach pouch.


Do not eat any solid foods for at least 6 hours before the fill (the stomach pouch should be completely empty for a fill.


Avoid COLD fluids for an hour before the fill (cold can temporarily shrink the stomach).


Avoid getting a fill either during or a few days before your menstrual period (fluid retention affects fill level.)


If possible hang around the doctor's office for a few hours after a fill to make sure you feel okay with the adjustment.


After a fill limit eating to a full liquid diet for 24 hours, then to soft foods for a day, before resuming a solid food diet (to help the stomach rest and heal).


My fill will take place on Friday - it was suppose to be Thursday but Dr. D has a hectic schedule on Thursday and can better fit me in on Friday.


thats all for now :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for these tips!! I'm always looking for things to keep in my handy dandy notebook for when MY day comes!! Good luck on Friday - keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of several of these, and now I'm freaking out! I started (.) The day before my fill last monday. How does it affect the fill? I don't want to go back to no restriction! I like where I am! This may be the only time in history I want a long period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm sending good restriction vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info--I hadn't heard some of the comments.

    ReplyDelete