Friday, December 17, 2010

First fill

At 3 pm I went to the hospital to get my first fill - the reason for doing it at the hospital was because Dr. D needed to use a florascope to make sure the lapband was in place and also to locate the port. - after this I think I will be going to his office.

I got up on the table to have the fill and about ten minutes later, it was complete.

I felt a very heavy feeling on my chest and my throat felt like I had food stuck in it - I sipped some water and I felt weird but when I spoke to Sam and Dr. D they said that was normal - I was not to panic because that would make it worse - to get up and walk around when I felt like I was going to throw up - and when I got home, to sip on a warm drink.

Anyway I drove myself home (thank the lord the traffic wasn't too bad) but on the way, the pressure got harder and I started to "slime" (know about this from your blogs!).  So I kept saying to myself , don't panic, breath deeply and just get home.

So when I got home, I made some herbal tea - and tried to sip some - I just kept feeling worse and worse so I finally called Sam and told her that I was feeling terrible and sliming all over the place.  She said "go back the the hospital and I will call Dr. D so he will be waiting for you and take out some of your fill."

My husband drove me back and on the way there I started to throw up - luckily my husband had a box of tissue in the car so I was able to throw up into that.

Got to the hospital, located Dr. D - he said to me you look fed up - I said not fed up just feeling really bad - so then he said go back to the same place and I'll meet you there.

A fellow bandster was there getting another fill so I told her that I had come back to take out some of the fill that I just had put in a couple of hours ago - Dr. D had given me a 7cc fill (my band is 10cc) - she said "oh, I have 5 now and was hoping to put 2cc in - maybe I shouldn't"  but  I told her everyone is different and since this was my first experience maybe it was effecting me different from her.

Anyway - Dr. D took out some of the fill - as he was doing it, I felt immediate relieve - I found out he had put in 8cc !  he took out 3 cc - so now I am at 5cc - I can feel the tightness but at a manageable level - he said in 4 weeks time we can look at putting more back in - but we would have to monitor it until then.

I have been sucking on a pop cycle and drinking sips of herbal tea !

I hope every thing goes well during the night and my stomach will be a little be better tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good night!

5 comments:

  1. 8cc?!?!??! Holy cow! I got 6 and can't imagine getting any more anytime soon. So glad you were able to get the unfill so quickly and that you feel good. It will likely be a few days before you feel like things are settling down. I think it was about a week before I felt like the swelling had gone down and I was where I should be so don't panic if you feel really tight for a bit.... though sliming on nothing is NOT a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a big fill! My first one was only 3, and 1 1/2 for the second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW- I'm sorry you had such a rough experience. I think 8cc's is the record for a first fill. Just stay on liquids/mushies to help the swelling go down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heavens that sounded awful!! I'm glad your Hubs drove you back (that you weren't out driving yourself) for an unfill...

    Please go easy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a little behind on my reading so I'm just reading this today... 7cc's for your first fill! Wowzers! I'm glad you went back and had some taken out. I had 1.5cc's for my first fill, and at 4cc's I was throwing up nearly everything that entered my mouth! Now I've got about 3cc's and that's just fine. I guess that goes to show how different everyone is!

    ReplyDelete